PKS Partner Network
PKS Partners are Microsoft Groups, customers, and/or partners, formally recognized by the PKS team, who have committed to integrating their existing product into PKS or building a new enhancement for PKS from the ground up. We want to hear the most compelling features that you have seen in other Web 2.0 tools that you would like to see in PKS. Our goal is to build a community that will help realize the promise of new technology offerings, business models and social structures that enables efficient integration among people, content and data.
We've started a list of feature ideas
that potential partners should review before joining the PKS Partner Network. This list includes features that improve the PKS mobile experience, rating and commenting capabilities, filtering options, tagging methods, and more.
Why Join the PKS Partner Network?
Podcasting & social networking are exploding technologies in the digital world. PKS is slated to be the premiere enterprise podcasting experience available to the public. Joining the PKS Partner Network allows the opportunity to contribute to this experience and promote greater exposure to your company and/or product.
When you decide to work with PKS, your enhancement has the potential to reach thousands of users within Microsoft, its customers, partners, and the general public. Within 7 months of launch, the predecessor of PKS, Academy Mobile, gained over 6000 unique users and over 50,000 downloads just from the internal Microsoft audience alone. These numbers are already increasing exponentially as PKS is released publicly creating a mindshare around enterprise podcasting & social networking, PKS and our on-boarded Child Projects. We believe this exposure creates a strong climate for marketing and branding of your company and products.
It is entirely possible for anyone to download our source code and integrate their own feature(s) into a version of PKS without formally engaging with us. However, PKS Partners receive the following benefits:
- Available funding to help the most promising projects. Check out our PKS Feature Ideas List to find a full list of some of the things we would love to see built.
- Be a part of the PKS capability roadmap shared with the world.
- High industry exposure via joint marketing efforts such as, press releases, events, case studies, blogs, marketing campaigns and more to help you sell your enhancements and products.
- Work with other PKS partners that can help you implement the kit in your environment and provide additional support via CodePlex.
- First to get PKS implementation opportunities if you become a PKS Partner and join the PKS Partner Network.
- Your CodePlex project and a link to your organization is formally showcased on our PKS CodePlex project homepage.
- You will also have the opportunity to have two one hour consultation meetings with our chief architect and your primary developer(s).
Do we have to release our code as open source?
We are asking the community to release at least one enhancement they develop for PKS to the community as open source under the MS-PL license
. Additional enhancements you create do not have to be released as open source and may be sold as a separate add-on product. Which enhancement you release will be negotiated with the PKS Release Manager.
Do we need to provide our own funding?
In general, yes. We believe becoming a PKS Partner is a strong investment in marketing and branding. However, we do have a portion of funds available for the most promising projects. Please contact us
if you are interested in applying for some of this funding.
Do you have an idea for an enhancement?
Use this thread
to share your ideas with the PKS community.
Formal Engagement Process:
- Review the PKS Feature Ideas List to verify that someone else isn’t already working on your idea and/or use this list as a starting place for a project idea.
- Send us an email with a brief description of your idea to initiate the engagement process.
Current PKS Partners: (On-boarded projects)
- Microsoft Enterprise Services are the consulting and support services of the Microsoft Corporation. Microsoft Services, has over 4500 consultants (MCS) and 3,800 support engineers (Premier) in 82 countries covering 44 languages. MCS offers the deepest expertise available on the Microsoft technology stack with direct connections to the Microsoft product teams. For more information about PKS services and support, contact Randy Simmons.
- 3Sharp - As the primary developers of the Podcasting Kit for SharePoint, 3Sharp has very deep insight into how to get to value quickly, both from the kit’s extensive out-of-the-box capabilities and from customizations and additions. You can see 3Sharp’s public-facing deployment of PKS, which allows for both anonymous and authenticated access, at GetSharp. For more information about how 3Sharp can help you with your PKS projects, please email us at GetSharp@3Sharp.com, or call Jeff Bean, 3Sharp PKS Product Manager, at 425-882-1032 x1012.
- Accenture is a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company. We participated in the PKS pilot program, along with several of our clients. Accenture is leveraging and extending SharePoint and the PKS to offer Web 2.0 based learning and collaboration solutions to its clients. In addition to technology implementation, we help our clients drive measurable business value by addressing the strategy, people and process components that are necessary to achieve high performance. For more info, contact Thomas Hoglund.
- Nintex - is a leading innovator of exciting software products that extend Microsoft technology. We focus on building software which bridges the gap between what can be delivered by Microsoft today and common functionality requested by customers. This PKS partnership has enabled Nintex to leverage a platform that will add increasing value to our customers and partners. Nintex's current enhancement is a podcasting feature that allows everyone to record a podcast directly from your browser!
- ElearningForce is a eLearning Software development company commercializing the Learning Management System (LMS) for SharePoint SharePointLMS. As a PKS Partner ELearningForce enables customers to utilize the power of PKS inside SharePointLMS Courses and deliver Podcasts to students, greatly enhancing their learning experience.
- Social Media Enterprise (SME)provides best of breed consulting for the full life cycle implementation of Microsoft's Podcasting Kit for SharePoint (PKS). Our services were first collectively brought together by Microsoft to serve their own podcasting needs for their award winning implementation of AcademyMobile (processor to PKS). Providing both partner and customer end to end implementation support, SME offers platform design and development, business development, marketing/evangelism, podcast production design, filming/editing and operations/support. For more information, contact Pamela Chiriboga at SME.
- Sysgain is passionate about bringing the value of the Podcasting Kit for SharePoint to mobile users. In Spring 2009 Sysgain will release the PKS Mobile Services add-on through CodePlex. PKS Mobile Services is the foundation on which an array of mobile client apps, across all platforms, can be built to enable a rich mobile PKS experience. Mobile capabilities will include: search, streaming audio/video, review/rating submissions, and the ability to connect to multiple PKS sources securely. To learn more about PKS Mobile Services and how it can transform knowledge sharing across your mobile workforce, contact Michael Brophy, VP Product Strategy or 425-629-6272 x1.