Cannot play Audio only Video..?

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I have a strange problem at the moment where I can successfully upload an mp3 player (as type Audio) but when i go to the PodcastDetail page, the silverlight player is shown but there is a start/end time of 00:00:00 and nothing plays. I can download it by clicking on the download link and also the duration etc is displayed correctly in the Duration field below the rating section. If I edit the podcast in the list and change the type to Video, it plays just fine through the Silverlight player?!?

Anyone else had this?

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM

JeffLol helped me out with this one. Basically its a problem with the PKSAudioPlayer.xap silverlight control. If you download and install Expression encoder 3 from the microsoft downloads site, you can then copy out the MdiaplayerTemplate.xap file from the installation directory. You should then rename it to PKSAudioPlayer.xap and upload it over the top of \Style Library\Podcasting kit\SLPlayerskins\PKSAudioPlayer.xap.

This fixed it for me, though remember to publish a major version of it if you versioning switched on.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Hi it is possible to get this file from Expression encoder 2 as well as if I move to Expression Encoder 3 I lose the auto encoding as stated in the documentation as I am running Windows Server 2003. I could install Expression Encoder 3, copy the file and revert back to Expression Encoder 2, would that work??? Any advice appreciated. 

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I've no idea I'm afraid. I was working exclusively with Encoder 3 so i didn't have to consider that. You can always try it and see. Just download a copy of the PCKAudioPlayer.xap file that you are currently using before uploading the new one. You can always then revert back if you need to.

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:54 AM

Hi it is possible to get this file from Expression encoder 2 as well as if I move to Expression Encoder 3 I lose the auto encoding as stated in the documentation as I am running Windows Server 2003. I could install Expression Encoder 3, copy the file and revert back to Expression Encoder 2, would that work??? Any advice appreciated. 

Yes, this is exactly what I did.  I had Expression 3 installed on my host system and simply pasted the xap template file to my virtual podcasting server that had encoder 2 installed.  Everything worked fine for me.  One side-effect is that the audio player will now have "play in full screen" enabled but playing in full screen for video won't be enable.  I will have to look into that after a few other things get addressed.

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:02 AM

That would work, you can keep both encoders at same time on your machine.

Only xap file from expression encoder 2 will not work because internal code to call the xap and parmeter passing is different in EE2 and EE3

Jeff