Cannot delete Podcast Files column

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Step 5 of Configuring the Podcast List has you selecting Podcast Files column, step 6 has you deleting it.

When I try to delete it I get the following error: One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete these fields.

How might I get around this problem as I did press on and on the Upload Podcast Page we receive error: Application Error Occurred Xml_MissingRoot.

I believe the two are related.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Hi,

It seems that the PKS Podcasts list did not get installed properly. Did you see any errors in the ssm.log file after the installation finished?

Try to uninstall PKS and then re-install it. Also check the log file generated after running ssm.exe and see if it shows any error.

Hope this helps.

-Parag

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I have run into the same issue.  This was on a fresh install to a new site collection created to host podcasting.  According to the ssm.log everything installed successfully using the July binaries

It won't let me delete the Podcast Files column and spits back the same error One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete these fields.

I've gone into Site Settings -> Galleries -> Columns and tried to delete the column but the "Delete" field does not appear.  I check all the other podcasting columsn and "Delete" appears there.  I've tried renaming it but nothing I can think of will delete the exisitng column.

We get the same error when we go to upload files Application Error Occurred Xml_MissingRoot

Any thoughts, of how this could be fixed without re-installing.  Re-installs tend to cause more problems then they fix with PKS and I would like to try to avoid it.

Thanks

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:26 PM

We never got by the error but we did not try that hard either hoping that the July release would not have this issue. I see by your experience that it does.

We have just installed the July release and soon will be getting the configuration section of where I hope we dont encounter the problem. Either way, Ill update this discussion with it worked or if we ran into the problem again.

Joe

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:29 PM

The strange thing is I did an install of the July Binaries yesterday on a different site collection and did not have any issues deleting the column, however there were major problems in other parts of PKS, so I deleted the site collection and started again today.  With the clean install I thought I was home free into the Column error

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:00 AM

July install has this issue for us again - could not delete Podcast Files column again.

This time spent some time and think I figured out how to get by the issue.

Deleted existing list (PKS Podcast)

Deleted it from recycle bin (want to make sure it will take the correct name)

Created new list from custom list Podcast List

Repeated steps in section for updating this list

I dont know if this is going to work, but it should

Cheers!

Below are some steps in trying to resolve issue Sharepoint is crazy!!!

Went to site columns in advanced setting and tried to delete - could not

Went to site content types noticed PKS Podcast when into that and tried to delete could not.

Deactivated and reactivated FeaturesPKS Podcast Content Type andPKS Site Columns - no issues so to be all is installed correctly

Remembered there was a content type of PKS Podcast thus went looking to see if there was a custom list type I could create from, there was.

Created list with different name - Created new list from custom listPodcast List

Compared columns

New list had extra - NFS Xml Blob Multiple Lines Plain text column

Deleted existing list (PKS Podcast)

Deleted it from recycle bin (want to make sure it will take the correct name)

Created new list from custom list Podcast List

Repeated steps in section for updating this list

This time I was able to delete column and created new

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Hi Joe

I tried out your solution, and was able to delete and re-create the column.  I believe everything is configured according to the manual.  When I click Upload Podcasts, I receieve and HTTP 404 error

http://*server*/PKS%20Podcasts/NewForm.aspx?RootFolder=/PKS Podcasts&Source=/pages/pkshomepage.aspx

Anyone have a suggestion to fix this or am I better off deleting my web app and starting fresh?

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Hi Orange28,

The Top navigation is in TopNav.xml at /PKSXmlNavigation/Forms/AllItems.aspx  this is where to update the Upload Podcast link.  Add /lists.  To the Upload Podcast link area in the xml.

Because I used the same name (If I would have used a different name I would not have to had done this – somehow the creation of the initial list put it in a none standard location – thus this work around in JS) I had to update the JS files in /Style%20Library/Forms/AllItems.aspx  -> PodcatingKit -> scripts

Function GenerateEditLink()  (function is used on the PocastDetails page)

Find if (unescape(listNameForEditPodcast) == 'PKS Podcasts')  and change the == to something different - if (unescape(listNameForEditPodcast) == 'PKS PodcastsJoe')  is my update.

I hope this helps.

Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 11:15 AM
To: Lacona, Joe-P63831
Subject: Re: Cannot delete Podcast Files column [pks:60408]

Hi Joe

I tried out your solution, and was able to delete and re-create the column. I believe everything is configured according to the manual. When I click Upload Podcasts, I receieve and HTTP 404 error

http://*server*/PKS%20Podcasts/NewForm.aspx?RootFolder=/PKS Podcasts&Source=/pages/pkshomepage.aspx

Anyone have a suggestion to fix this or am I better off deleting my web app and starting fresh?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (pks@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email pks@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com