Download Tracking not working in II7/2008 Server

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Has anyone else run into an issue where the Download Tracker doesn't seem to work at all in a Windows 2008 Server/IIS7 SP1 configuration?  It looks like the DLL (which is in the GAC) doesn't even get called.  The application pool is in "Classic" mode which means it should run as it should in IIS 6 but doesn't (in regards to the HTTP Handler).  It doesn't log anything into the RatingStore database (while Ratings works quite well).  Any information would be helpful.  Thanks.

Jason Weiss

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Hi Jason,

Have you activated the "Download Tracking Enabled Lists" feature in central administration site.

Thanks,

Naresh Bojja

Sysgain Inc, www.sysgain.com

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Yes, I’ve followed all of the instructions to activate and configure the Download Tracking. I know that it works in Server 2003/IIS6. I just can’t get it to work in Server 2008/IIS 7.

Jason

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:05 AM

We're having the same issue.  The ratings work fine, but downloads aren't being stored in the database.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM

We figured out the issue.  Both configuration keys have to be EXACTLY as the install documentation outlines.  I did not have a "s" on OptOutFileExtensions and therefore the Download Tracker did not work (or even write errors to any error log).

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Ours turned out to be a different issue.  We're using a content delivery network to store/serve our content, and since the play/download requests weren't coming from the UploadFolder on the local network file share, the code wasn't being hit.  After some code modifications to the Microsoft.MSIT.DownloadTracker code, we got it working.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I am still facing the issue, as i am uploading *.wmv file, and when i see the download tracker its showing it as 0, i followed the codeplex documentation steps. Any information or help on this will be really help ful

1. Go to Central Administration > Operations > Manage Farm Features
  2. Activate the ContentRatingFeatureFarm  and Download Tracker Configuration List  feature
  3. Click “View All Site Content” on the top of the left hand menu
  4. Open the “Content Rating Store Configuration Settings” list
  5. Edit the connectionString key and update the Data Source entry to point to your SQL Server installation.
    1. Example: Data Source=PKSDEMO3;Initial Catalog=RatingStore;Integrated Security=SSPI;
  6. Click “View All Site Content” on the top of the left hand menu
  7. Open the “Download Tracker Configuration List” list
  8.  Click New Item, fill following values, and update the Data Source entry to point to your SQL Server installation.

Configuration Name: DownloadTracker

Key: connectionString

Value: Data Source=<SERVER>;Initial Catalog=RatingStore;Integrated Security=True

1.  Click New Item and fill following values

Configuration Name : DownloadTracker

Key: OptOutFileExtensions
Value: .jpg,.gif

Thanks
Jagatheesh