Encoding process

May 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM
Edited May 18, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Hello,

After installed sucessfuly PKS, I made some tests. Everything worked fine, my congratulations again to the pks team for this great project.

By doing a lot of tests, I uploaded an .AVI file, but it no showed. That was downloaded in the upload files with no problem.

Soo, I clicked in the button to make it compatible with silverlight. In the task manager, I could see the video process encoding.

Soo, I verifyed into my directory, and the new .WMV video was there.

However, when I tryed to see the video in podcast page, it was not played. I could see the thumbnail, the time and size (in size, I verified that the size of the file was the old size, when the video was in the .AVI format).

Soo, I tryed to see the download link, and that gave to me a "Page not found". Soo, I saw that the link was poiting to the oldest video, that had his name changed by the encode process.

Soo I ask, did I make something wrong ? The video was sucessfuly encoded, but that was not update the link to the new video!

uploading WMV, mp3 files, works fine. The search also works with no problems.

 

Thank you

May 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Hi legendsofthekid,

When you click the button to make the video compatible with silverlight, the original file gets renamed and the encoding process starts which takes some time.

Once the encoding is completed then the links gets updated with the encoded file. Hence if you try to play the podcast while the encoding is in progress then you will get a "Page not found" error as the link hasn't been updated yet and the original file has been renamed.

So I would suggest that you wait for some time and let the encoding complete before you try to play the video. You can monitor the media encoder queue list to ensure that the encoding has been completed successfully before playing the video.

Hope this helps.

 

May 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Thank you for the help,

I'll start the tests. After I give you a feedback

May 21, 2009 at 9:48 AM

 

Hi legendsofthekid, did you have a problem with the Media Encode Service before? If yes, I guess you have resolved it. Can you please give me some hints?

 

[5/21/2009 7:30:51 PM] configWeb=http://localhost
[5/21/2009 7:30:51 PM] configList=PKS Configuration Settings
[5/21/2009 7:30:51 PM] externalStoresList=PKS Media Encoder Monitor Locations
[5/21/2009 7:30:52 PM] Loading configuration from list web service...
[5/21/2009 7:31:20 PM] Configuration web service for 'PKS Configuration Settings' values have changed.
[5/21/2009 7:31:20 PM] Loading external file stores from list web service...
[5/21/2009 7:31:21 PM] External File Stores web service values have changed.
[5/21/2009 7:31:21 PM] Adding section 81927daf-8ea2-4cd3-a2fe-992ff9f72c1090e63111-9072-4e09-9a48-e975542592eb
[5/21/2009 7:31:21 PM] Loading auto encode from list web service...
[5/21/2009 7:31:21 PM] Auto encode web service request failed.
[5/21/2009 7:31:23 PM] Progress[configTimer_Tick]: Re-reading configuration
[5/21/2009 7:31:23 PM] Loading configuration from list web service...
[5/21/2009 7:31:23 PM] Configuration web service for 'PKS Configuration Settings' values are unchanged.
[5/21/2009 7:31:23 PM] Loading external file stores from list web service...
[5/21/2009 7:31:23 PM] External File Stores web service values are unchanged.
[5/21/2009 7:31:23 PM] Loading auto encode from list web service...
[5/21/2009 7:31:23 PM] Auto encode web service request failed.