Automate import of Podcasts from an external system

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:30 PM
Hi,

We are needing to automate the import of Podcasts from an external system.
So I am wanting to programatically talk to the PKS Podcast List from another machine.
To do this I would normally turn on anonymous access and setup a user with rights to the list.

On a clean build of the March release as soon as I turn on anonymous access to the PKS site I get this  "Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager'.".
Even if I turn anonymous access back on the site is still down with the same error.

Can anyone help me understand the process to make PKS work in anonymous or more specifically how to auto import content into the Podcast List?

Cheers
Jay

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM
Hello,

I have no feedback on this yet.
I'm not concerned with the error as I have rolled back my Virtual Machine to before the change to anonymous killed it.

What I would like is some direction on how to have an external application import Podcasts into the PKS site.

Cheers
Jay
Apr 15, 2009 at 10:09 AM
Hi Jay,

In order to automate the things, you would need to have a deep understanding of the whole process of uploading podcasts. For this, firstly you can configure the site as described in documentation.
After that either programmatically or through SharePoint Designer you can check the values of various columns including Podcast Files and NFS Xml Blob and can study in what format data is stored when a podcast is uploaded.

Once you have a good understanding of the upload process, in your code you can add all required metadata( including NFS Xml Blob and Podcast Files) in corresponding PKS list columns and update the list.
Get the ItemID (integer ID) of the just created new item in PKS List and programmatically create a folder of name( integer ID of item) under C:\UploadFiles folder and copy the media files in it for which metadata is stored in NFS Xml Blob column. The creation of the folder will trigger the Media Encoder service to do its job (i.e.generating thumbnail and updating columns like CsId, RSSFileUrl, PodcastThumbnail, NFS Xml Blob). In this way you can automate the upload process.

Hope this helps.
Apr 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. That helps with regards to how to automate the import.

What is the best way to talk to the PKS System and Lists from a process running from another server?

Are there any instructions or guidelines to being able to turn on anonymous access to the PKS site as this is normally how I would be able to use the webservice to access the lists?

Cheers
Jay
Apr 22, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Hi,

No one seems to want to answer the "enabling anonymous" question? :)

Instead we have built a Service that we install on the PKS Server to interface with our TV Archiving and Clipping solution.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Jay