Installing Media Encoder Service on a dedicated server?

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:49 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has moved the Media Encoder Service to a dedicated server?

Is this possible, or do we need to have instances of MES on each front end?

I saw this post: http://pks.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=37860 which says that the
MES needs access to the SharePoint API, but the thread is discussing an earlier release. Is this still correct?

I peeled open the MES code base (I'm using the PKS February 2009 beta), and didn't see any
reference to SharePoint assemblies. Only Web Services. But I wanted to confirm just in case I'm missing something.

Ideally I'd like to remove the MES from the front ends and have a dedicated server monitor a network
file location for new media files to encode.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
-Pete

Developer
Mar 26, 2009 at 3:50 PM
The Media Encoder Service has technically never needed the API to monitor items in SharePoint.  It just needs to have access to the Web Services that are available from SharePoint.  So it is entirely possible to move the Media Encoder Service to a dedicated machine.  Ideally if you are going to do this you would want to either make sure that the file system used for storing uploaded PKS items is local to the Media Encoder Service machine or you would want to used some form of file system replication.  This is primarily because the FileSystemWatcher class that is used to monitor the file system for new files will potentially run in to issues if it ever loses communication to a network path even for a short period of time.

Hope that makes sense.
Mar 26, 2009 at 6:40 PM
kbunge:

Thank you for the answer and the great information. =)

Makes complete sense and I'm glad I was able to confirm it. I do appreciate the suggestion RE: keeping
the files on the physical disk of the MES machine. I'll keep this in mind.

Regards,
-Pete