Audio Playlists

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:51 PM
Hi All,

I'm hoping PKS could be the answer for a problem we currently have, and maybe someone here has already tried this.

I work in a school and the Modern Languages department has a huge amount of audio files that they use for their lessons. The management is starting to become a massive headache, the files are hosted through our sharepoint server but there is an issue. Vista has real problems with file type associations, meaning that some users are unable to listen to the audio files as their file association has been changed to something other than windows media player.

The answer: To have a web player to play the audio files, then any user anywhere will be able to listen to the audio.

So my idea is to use PKS to add the audio files and create playlists. Being able to create playlists is the key, as the audio files have come from audio CDs and need to be kept and played together.

I hope someone here can help give me an answer or maybe some other ideas of how to achieve this in Sharepoint. Kind regards,
Andrew.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM
PKS could be the answer: the silverlight player will play all your audio files, and the "Series" concept could be used to compile all CD files together (1 CD = 1 Series).

The one missing feature would be the playlist, i.e. playing the next audio file in the series. This feature would require additional dev on top of PKS, but shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Another design option for the playlist would be to leverage the multiple files upload feature, and have the silverlight player manage the playlist. This way one "podcast upload" would equal a CD, and you can use the Series concept to group CDs together.

I'd recommend hiring a PKS Partner for the design and implementation.
Mar 5, 2009 at 7:25 AM
Thanks for the reply ludovicf. This sounds very encouraging, it may even be something that once developed others will want to use.

We are based in the South East of the UK, if anyone knows of any PKS partners that they could recommend to us i'd love to hear from you.
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Taking it offline-