So Close!

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:14 PM
I've been working on installing the August release for a while, and after today's efforts, I think it is ALMOST up and running.

When I upload video files, the encoder service goes to work, generates a thumbnail on the server, creates the directory, etc.  A promising start!
From the front-end, I can see that the file has been created, but I don't see the thumbnail, duration, etc., and I can't play the video.

The only recent issues / hiccups I experienced in the installation were as follows:

• QueryString of key "csId" not found appears near the bottom of the podcastdetail page.
  • When editing the Source in the CondentEditor web parts (to add the edit podcast and silverlight conversion items) on PodcastDetail.aspx, the page hung for a few minutes, though they seemed to go through OK in the end.  Strange.
  • Ran into some issues with the approval workflows.  Rather than simply publishing changes, I had to check the version back in, then go to the main page to track changes, publish a major version, submit the change, then go back to the changes page, and approve/reject item (a different workflow) to finalize the changes, in turn canceling the other approval workflow.  Seemed a little strange and roundabout, but it worked to get the changes into the published state.
  • Had to use HTTPpost method.. tried to use Silverlight for the PKS uploads, but when i did that, it just kept promting me to install silverlight, even after it was installed... never got to the browse option to find the file.

Any thoughts?

As always, I'd appreciate some thoughts!
Thanks, as always.

Bobby

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:41 PM
Also, the two videos that I tried to upload are showing as "in progress" in the Media Encoder queue.  The encoder log reports "encoding in progress" EVERY MINUTE, all night long.  I'm not sure what it's working on!  I restarted the service, and it initialized with no errors, then picks up where it left off, as it sees items in the queue.  I'll try deleting them, and starting fresh...
Nov 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM
Found one error in the Media Encoder log:

Error[CreateJob]: The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception.
StackTrace:
   at Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.EncoderFeedbackServiceImpl.RegisterSqmValue(UInt32 feedbackid, Int32 value)
   at Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.SqmManager.RecordSqmValue(UInt32 datapoint, Int32 value)
   at Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.SqmManager.RecordMarkersUsed(Int32 cMarkers)
   at Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.EncoderBase.<>c__DisplayClass1.<StartItem>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.MessageDisplayService.SendToUIThread(MethodInvoker invoker)
   at Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.EncoderBase.StartItem(MediaItem item)
   at Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.MediaItemEncoder.EncodeItem(MediaItem item, PublishedItem& publishedItem)
   at Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.MediaEncoder.Encode()
   at Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.Job.Encode()
   at MediaEncoderService.Recode.CreateJob(MediaItem item, String outputPath)

Also, deleted the two items from the Media Encoder Queue list within PKS, but the encoder still reports "Encoding in Progress" every minute.

Any thoughts?  Thanks guys!
Nov 26, 2008 at 7:03 PM
Looks like the MP value is not getting passed properly... the end of the URL in the podcast detail page (when you try to watch a podcast) ends in "mp=" with no value.  When I plug a "1" in there, the player controls appear (getting warmer!), but since 1 is an arbitrary value, there's no video.

Where does this data need to come from?
Nov 26, 2008 at 7:40 PM
Quick update:

the video files are being processed properly by the encoder... the thumbnail is generated, the duration is reported back to the list.  But the thumbnail and video don't show up through the front-end.
Nov 26, 2008 at 8:37 PM
SUCCESS!

Just uploaded and then watched our first successful podcast files.  VERY satisfying.
The key was to restart the upload event handler in the site collection features, even though we thought that was working... durations and thumbnails were being generated before.

Shifting gears to customization and fine-tuning.
It's been a good ride.

Thanks everyone for the help!
I look forward to staying involved here.

And if anyone out there is still running into hurdles getting this app up and running, power through it.  The satisfaction in the end is worth it!

Cheers.
BDutton
Coordinator
Nov 27, 2008 at 4:16 PM
Congratulations BDutton!

Happy Podcasting!