Ok, so I am feeling that something is out to get me and drive me bananas.
I installed the October Beta on a different Sharepoint environment. Got to starting the Media Encoder service and it says:
Service cannot be started. System.ArgumentException: The path is not of a legal form.
at System.IO.Path.NormalizePathFast(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(String path)
at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)
at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.set_EnableRaisingEvents(Boolean value)
at MediaEncoderService.MediaEncoderService.OnStart(String args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)
Now, I am not brainless :) I verified all URLs, URIs, permissions, Virtual Directories, MediaEncoderService.exe.config and all config items from the document. My external directory is C:\UploadFiles and the URL is http://pkstest.cyberplex.com/UploadFiles/.
I have checked, re-checked etc and still cannot start the service. (this was never an issue with the Septemeber beta for me - I do realize that the configs have changed but that all went well when I installed Oct)