PKS October Beta Released

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2008 at 1:21 AM
Edited Nov 1, 2008 at 1:26 AM

A community thread related to the install of and upgrade to the PKS October Beta.

Looking forward to a great exchange of ideas and feedback!

~ Happy Podcasting ~

Release Features

• Full support for Silverlight 2 RTW
    • Podcasting Upload Control
  • Office Communicator 2007 ~ Presence Support
    • Podcaster Presence (PKSHomepage, PodcastDetail, Podcasters, PodcasterDetail)
  • Updated CBQ Override web part
    • New List View Added
    • Page number and total podcasts displayed
    • Updated filtering functionality and UI
  • Updated Media Encoder Service
    • Configuration managed in SharePoint list
  • New Silverlight player includes thumbnail display
  • PodcastDetail Page
    • Edit Podcast and Re-encode Podcast web parts created automatically during deployment
  • Added sub site functionality
  • Updated PodcastDetail Page query string to be limited to 256 characters or less for better Outlook link compatibility.
  • Support for multiple podcast libraries

Known Issue(s)

• When upgrading, after the install of the October 2008 Beta release a duplicate set of "<controls> </controls>" remains in the web.config, delete the tags and reset IIS.
  • In certain Windows Server 2008 environments the MediaEncoderService.exe restarts randomly without logging errors to the application, system event or encoder logs.
    • The symptoms are thumbnails are not generated and podcasts are not re-encoded.
    • The work around is to change the default MediaEncoder.ConfigInterval from 60000 to 3600000. This will mean that updates to your configuration that are made will only be checked every hour.
Nov 7, 2008 at 1:59 AM
Hi,
I experienced thumbnails not being generated after uploading a podcast. I'll try this workaround and let you know. However, I have error with the Podcast Details page. QueryString of key "csId" not found . Any idea what I missed in the configuration?

Thanks!
Nov 13, 2008 at 11:58 PM
Why isn't there a demo site where we can see how it looks installed and running?
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2008 at 2:30 AM
Hi Kosher,

We are actually working on bringing up a public demo site, we should have this site online over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the feedback.

-a

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:33 PM
I installed this October version and everything worked.
I'll congratulate the PKS team for this great work.

Thank you,

Regards,
Pablo Bertrão

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2008 at 7:46 PM
Hi, Pablo

Thank you for your continued support. Happy Podcasting!

Austin & the PKS team.