This project is read-only.

MasterPage issue

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM
Edited Oct 29, 2008 at 2:48 PM
I've been working on upgrading from the August Release to the September Beta, and have followed the migration instructions exactly.  With a little help from this community (thanks guys!) I was able to overcome the MediaEncoder Service installation issues, and pressed on to the second-to-last step.  But there, unfortunately, I've hit another wall.

Initially, the page template is set to default.master.  With this configuration, the Podcast-related pages come up with the following error:

Unable to display this Web Part.  To troubleshoot the problem, open this Web page in a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible HTML editor...

When viewed in SP Designer, a DB connection error is reported.

When I change the master page to PKSMasterPage.master, which is the next step in the migration, the pages break down even further, and report that "An unexpected error has occured."

When viewed in SP Designer after applying the PKSMaster page, the DB error seems to be resolved, but the page completely fails to display.  The error is displayed in plain text with broken images -- as if no stylesheet is applied.

I've been working with our resident Sharepoint guru, and together we uninstalled the September deployment and started over last night, only to arrive at the same results again.
Has anyone run into issues with the PKSMasterPage?  We are pretty stumped.

As always, I'd appreciate any thoughts or guidance.
I want to start podcasting!!!

Thanks!
Nov 1, 2008 at 5:36 PM
Sorry to hear about those issues... Can you enable verbose logging to get more insight into the issues you are facing?
Nov 4, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Thanks ludovicf -

We've gotten a bit farther.  We turned on verbose for categories of webparts, publishing, feature infrastructure, and general, and came up with one error:

11/03/2008 12:14:13.97 w3wp.exe (0x1EAC)                                       0x0ACC Windows SharePoint Services   General                                       8nca       Verbose               Application error when access /Pages/pkshomepage.aspx, Error=The SiteMapProvider 'SpLeftNavigationProvider' cannot be found.   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.SiteMapDataSource.get_Provider()     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.SiteMapDataSource.GetHierarchicalView(String viewPath)     at System.Web.UI.HierarchicalDataSourceControl.System.Web.UI.IHierarchicalDataSource.GetHierarchicalView(String viewPath)     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HierarchicalDataBoundControl.GetData(String viewPath)     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu.DataBindItem(MenuItem item)     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu.PerformDataBinding()     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HierarchicalDataBoundControl.PerformSelect()     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind()     at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Menu.Data...         

Later, we added the Navigation entries that are mentioned below...the documentation suggests that those lines need to be commented out, then un-commented, but we found that the web.config file didn't contain those lines at all.  When we added them in, our issues seemed resolved!

1.       PKS Left Navigation Items:

a.       Delete from the PKS Left Navigation Items library the following six entries: PodcastSeries, ExecutiveSeries, PodcastPublishDate, PodcastLanguage, TargetedAudience, TargetedAudienceLevel.

b.      Failure to delete these entries will result in a non-responsive website after the deployment of the September Beta. If you are in this situation then:

·         Comment the following two entries in web.config

<!-- <add name="PKSNavigationProviderMobile" type="PKS.Sharepoint.Navigation.SpLeftNavigationProvider, PKS.Sharepoint.Navigation, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3a737f14c332a521" siteMapList="PKS Left Navigation Items" isMobileView="true" /> -->

<!-- <add name="SpLeftNavigationProvider" type="PKS.Sharepoint.Navigation.SpLeftNavigationProvider, PKS.Sharepoint.Navigation, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3a737f14c332a521" siteMapList="PKS Left Navigation Items" isMobileView="false" /> -->

·         Do an iisreset

·         Go to the site settings and re-apply the default master page

·         Go to the “PKS Left Navigation Items” list and delete the double entries

·         Remove the comments in web.config, reapply the PKS Master Pages.

I've since gotten through much of the configuration, and have reached a new stumbling point:

In the Congifuring the Podcast List section, I'm unable to apply the changes to the Podcast Files column settings in the PKS Podcasts list.  It says "Cannot Complete This Action.  Please try again."  I've tested and verified the folder and web URL for the Uploads, but I'm not sure if it's unhappy with one of those values, or something higher up.  I'm using the following values:

• Upload Location URI:  D:\PodcastUploads
  • IIS Base URL:  http://blahblahblah.blah.com:8080
  • Upload Interface:  Silverlight Upload (also tried HTTP, the same result).

The install has been going smoothly up to this point, but I'm stuck.  I"ve confirmed permissions to the directory, and added read/modify rights for Everyone.  I've also confirmed the web path by navigating to a simple index page via the browser.

I turned on verbose error reporting here too, and am digging through the errors... nothing jumps out at me at a glance...

Has anyone else run into an issue modifying the column properties here?

Thanks for your help!
Bobby

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:19 PM
We were able to create a new PKS Podcasts list (which we named podcastlist2) from the PKS Podasts template.  In the new list (which appears identical to the original one), we are able to modify the columns fine, and enter the Base URI and Base URL successfully.

If we were to delete the original PKS Podcasts list, and rename this new one to have that name, will other connections point to the new list, or will connections be broken?  I guess what it comes down to is whether the list is referenced by name or by GUID.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Nov 5, 2008 at 10:26 PM
Hi, BDutton

You should be able to rename the list.

Thanks,
-a