This project is read-only.

Issues Uninstalling MediaEncoder Service

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:13 PM
I am working on installing the September Beta release, upgrading from the August Tech Preview.  In step 9b, after stopping the MediaEncoder service, the instructions say to uninstall the MediaEncoder from the Programs and Features menu.  I don't seem to have that menu.  I'm using Windows Server 2003.  Perhaps that menu is only in Windows Server 2008?

Tried uninstalling the service via Add/Remove Programs, but can't find the service.

I assume that this is a critical step, and I'm stuck.

Has anyone been able to uninstall that service on a Windows Server 2003 machine?

I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks!

Bobby
Oct 14, 2008 at 11:30 PM
Here's a wild guess... when you installed it in August, did you pick to install for the current user or all users? If the current user you may want to login as this user again and see if the uninstall appears then in the Add/Remove program list.
Otherwise try to install it again from the September installer. At the end of the day if you have the new exe and config files you should be good, the service should be able to start again.
Oct 15, 2008 at 4:54 PM
Great catch, lodovicf!  We had installed the service with a different account, and sure enough, it came right up when we logged back in with those credentials.
Thanks!