Unable to retrieve configuration settings.

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM
I get Unable to retrieve configuration settings when I go to my podcast detail page.
I get the following errors in my application log:

Unable to retrieve configuration settings. Error msg: The given key was not present in the dictionary. Stack trace: at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)

at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Web.WebService.Utility.<>c__DisplayClass1.<get_ConfigCacheTimeout>b__0()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)

at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Web.WebService.Utility.get_ConfigCacheTimeout()

at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Web.WebService.EntityConfigs.GetConfigurationXml(String configurationName, String webId)

at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Web.WebService.EntityConfigs.GetConfigXml(String configurationId, Boolean isListId)

at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Web.WebService.EntityConfigs.ProcessGetRequest()

and

Error in HttpHandler. Error msg: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Stack trace: at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Utility.GetLobUserIdProvider()

at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Web.WebService.Utility.get_LobUserIdProvider()

at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Web.WebService.EntityRatedItems.GetRatings(String[] extentionSplits)

at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Web.WebService.HttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:03 PM
when it happenned?
After you install the solution and tryed to configure the pages?
Or it happenned after you did another step?
Oct 13, 2008 at 5:35 PM
After I went throught the September install isntructions.  I uploaded a test file, then when I open that file in the podcast details page, I get the error.
Oct 14, 2008 at 4:16 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2008 at 5:23 PM
Did you configure the media encoder right? Verify if the WEBID and the LISTID is correct ( Search the ID'S on Content Rating Configuration Settings )
When you uploaded a file, was in a Silverlight Thumbnail ?
Try to verify the steps "Configuring the Podcast List", "Media encoder" service and "PodcastDetail".
Verify if the steps was sucessfuly followed.
I thing this "not present Key" is the key gave from Content Rating Configuration Settings that you have to put on media encoder service. Maybe is because of that the podcast dont show.
Nov 14, 2008 at 12:07 AM
Did you resolve this issue? I get the same error

Unable to retrieve configuration
Nov 17, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Verify the right server name is configured in Content Rating Store Configuration Settings list in Central Administration 
Verify if the feature ContentRatingFeatureFarm under Operations --> Manage Farm Features is activated.
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2008 at 7:43 PM
Hi Bakinnan, LegendsofTheKid, & Neoinbiz

Are your issues related to this thread resolved. If not please post the latest as well as if you are performing a clean-install or upgrade and what version.

Thanks,
-a
Nov 19, 2008 at 12:30 PM
I've had this on some of my farms using clean installations of both September and October releases.

It always seems to occur on Windows Server 2008 x64 where the database server is SQL 2008 and resides on a different server.

I've done all the basic things like verifing the SQL Server name in the Content Rating Store Configuration Settings list in Central Administration.

I'm not entirely sure what's causing it, but I think it is permission related.  I've turned on IIS7 tracing and seem to be getting various 401.2 unauthorised errors.  I'm not sure if these are the cause or merely a symptom of the issue.

I'm going to do some more digging with Process Monitor, and some tracing at the SQL side to see if it's database permission related.  However it's definitely still an issue.

Here's one of the errors from the WFE event log:

Unable to retrieve configuration settings. Error msg: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.  Stack trace:
at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Web.WebService.EntityConfigs.GetConfigurationXml(String configurationName, String webId)
at Microsoft.MSIT.Ratings.Web.WebService.EntityConfigs.GetConfigXml(String configurationId, Boolean isListId)
Nov 20, 2008 at 7:31 PM

I am also getting exact same error  here is log details:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SPP Ratings
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0

Description:
Unable to retrieve configuration settings. Error msg: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.  Stack trace:   

Can somebody help me resolve this issue ...

Thanking you in advance

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:10 PM
I guess the problem is because of my sql instance is named as "<servername>\SQL2005"...

I will update the team once i find if this is root of the problem

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM
i got the problem

if you dont have a value for a key in the "Content Rating Configuration Settings" you will get this problem

here is valid list:

DefaultSettings$
EnableRerating
true
@DefaultSettings$
EnableUsefulness
true
@DefaultSettings$
RatingDisplayTotalRatings
true
@DefaultSettings$
RatingDisplayAverageRating
true
@DefaultSettings$
RatingDisplayMyRating
true
@DefaultSettings$
RatingDisplayPopupCommentControl
true
@DefaultSettings$
CommentDisplayTotalRatings
true
@DefaultSettings$
CommentDisplayAverageRating
true
@DefaultSettings$
CommentDisplayMyRating
true
@DefaultSettings$
RaterSkin
dark.htm
@DefaultSettings$
CommentSkin
commentflyout.htm
@DefaultSettings$
Namespace
@DefaultSettings$

in my list "CommentSkin" and "RaterSkin" key had blank values

Thanks

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM
Hi Dave_C,

We have identified a bug that may be related to this issue. We installed PKS on a server that hosted both SQL and MOSS, called http://pks (PKS was the server name as well). Everything was working correctly when we access the site using http://pks. We added an alternate mapping http://videos.domain.com, and started seeing symptons very simlar the error you are receving. We are working on an updated ratings component for the November release that solves this instance name issue with ratings.

Does any of this have simalities with your enviorment?

Thanks,
-a
Nov 25, 2008 at 11:31 AM
Hi there Austin,

It's still driving my nuts trying to find the exact cause.

My issue isn't the same as Praveen's as my "Content Rating Configuration Settings" is correct.

I think there may be something permissions based at the SQL level going on.  I have given the app pool account (service.app) dbo access to the RatingStore database.  However that doesn't seem to be enough.  In the interests of troubleshooting, I gave the account the "sysadmin" SQL Role, and restarted the service.  That fixed the error.

We are using SQL 2008 RTM, and I'm not sure how much testing you've done against that release so far.  I think there's already CU1 out for it, so may get that via Premier and see if that fixes anything.

Cheers,

David.
Nov 25, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Installed CU1, but no joy.

However I think I've had a lightbulb moment.  The sites where it doesn't work use an FQDN for the host header i.e. http://www.site.com.  The ones where I can get it to work just use a domain local name i.e. http://site.  I think this may be the issue, rather than being related to AAM's.

Any thoughts?

David.

Coordinator
Nov 27, 2008 at 4:04 PM
Edited Nov 27, 2008 at 4:05 PM
Hi Dave_c

Yes, this is a bug with the ratings component. We are integrating a a new version of ratings and expect to have it in the November or December build. Basically the current version of ratings utilizes web calls, which generate the errors you are seeing.

The new version of ratings utilizes the object model only. Also the new version of ratings will allow both podcast series and podcasters to be rated.

Thanks, -a
Jan 26, 2009 at 11:39 PM
I installed the December release yet I am having the exact same problem; internal site works fine, external "pks.domain.com" give me and "Unable to retrieve configuration Settings" error and will not play the audio/video.  Has there been a resolution to this problem?  Thanks
Jan 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM
I am able to play back podcasts from the external pks site (pks.domain.com) if I add "pks.domain.com" to my IE trusted sites.  This is not a solution as it is not reasonable to request anonymous internet users to modify their trusted sites.