Error[ActivateSiteFeature]: ...template already exists

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:10 PM
I installed the podcast kit and all of the installation and activating seemed to go well except this one: (this is from the ssm.log file).

Error[ActivateSiteFeature]: A file specified in the modules section of this template already exists.
StackTrace:
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.EnableModuleFromXml(String bstrFeatureDirectory, String bstrUrl, String bstrXML)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPModule.ActivateFromFeature(SPFeatureDefinition featdef, XmlNode xnModule, SPWeb web)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPModuleElement.ElementActivated(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPSqlCommand sqlcmdAppendOnly, SPWebApplication webApp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPElementDefinitionCollection.ProvisionModules(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPElementDefinitionCollection.ProvisionElements(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPWebApplication webapp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.ProvisionElements(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPWebApplication webapp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Add(Guid featureId)
   at SharePointSolutionManager.PackageManager.ActivateSiteFeature(Guid feature, SPSite site)
Adding web.config keys...

And that's where it stopped.  I had installed the August version previously, but uninstalled it first and then did a clean install with the Sept version.  I don't have any idea what that means.  Help?
Oct 6, 2008 at 6:44 PM
Try to look your solutions in central administration.
Probably this solutions was working when you tryed to install.
If all the solutions were working, you can follow the next steps.
But it doesn't, stop the solution and try to install again.

To stop the solution without use the central administration (cause sometimes it doesn't work), do the following steps:

Open a NOTEPAD.
write the following sentences:
@ECHO OFF

rem -- undoes deployment of the fundacao bradesco solution to WSS; use DeleteSolution.cmd to
rem -- fully delete the solution
net start spadmin

@SET SPDIR="c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\12"

%SPDIR%\bin\stsadm -o retractsolution -name (PUT THE SOLUTION NAME HERE)    -immediate -allcontenturls

%SPDIR%\bin\stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
%SPDIR%\bin\stsadm -o deletesolution -name (PUT THE SOLUTION NAME HERE)   -override

Ok, doing that, save the file in format .BAT and execute. You have to execute to every solution that you want to stop.
After stoping all solutions, try to execute the installer again (with the easiest mode).

If a solution show a error after the installer (lookin it into central administration), try to deploy the solution at the central administration, using the link DEPLOY.
It should work. Worked with me when I had this problem.

This problem happen 'cause you already tryed to install the solutions. Soo, when you tryed to install again, a conflict was created, because central administration have already installed solutions with the same name.

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:19 PM
Thanks it looks like it was working, so i'll proceed from there! Thanks for the response!