The September Beta is Released!

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2008 at 5:58 AM

The September Beta is Here! (and in September) download it via the release tab.

What’s in this release:

• A new version of the MediaEncoder, delivering on-demand and server-side media file re-encoding. The MediaEncoder can be activated via the user interface (in the Podcast Detail page). Clicking the button will add the media to the encoding queue if the item does not already exist. The queue is a newly created “Media Encoder Queue” library in your SharePoint site. Every minute the MediaEncoder will check the queue and start re-encoding any new item using the Microsoft Encoder Expression 2.0 API.
  • A new co-podcaster webpart, fixing performance issues found in the August Tech Preview
  • An updated podcaster search mechanism that works with the profile out of the box and alternate fields
  • A streamlined deployment as well as a better upgrade experience preserving your existing podcast data
  • Passed the Security and Threat analysis reviews
  • Several bug fixes including:
    • Setting the PKS Podcast libraries edit rights to “Only edit your own” works
    • IE 8 support
    • Several alternate profile fields are now showing properly
    • Podcaster detail page shows podcasts where the individual is a co-podcaster
    • Podcaster can upload a thumbnail manually... and many more (check out the release notes in the documentation section).

What we could not get in time and is in the queue for our future releases:

• The new download tracker design (HTTP Module) allowing the tracking of RSS downloads.
  • An updated version of the CBQ override allowing the display of the number of pages and the total number of podcasts in the view.
  • The podcaster rating, cumulative number of downloads and contribution
  • The podcaster Zune RSS subscription (this requires a design change: one aspx page per podcaster)
  • The podcast search results Zune RSS subscription (this requires a design change)
  • A reporting page that will also return download actions
  • An updated podcast detail page design that limits the query strings to 256 characters. It recently appeared to us that the current query string is too long and not compatible with the Outlook “hyperlink” feature.

Thanks for your support in PKS and Happy Podcasting!

Developer
Oct 1, 2008 at 6:50 PM
Just wanted to also note that this release of the PKS still does not easily support having podcast libraries in sub-sites.  We are working on some of the deployment issues for future releases, however the recommendation at this time is to deploy at the root of the web application.  There are some manual steps you can try in order to activate the PKS on sub-sites if it is critical.

1. Your subsite should be created using the Publishing site template
  2. You will need to create a list called PKS Left Navigation Items using the PKS Left Navigation Items list template
  3. You will need to manually recreate all of the pages from the Pages document library in the root site for PKS by manually creating the pages and exporting then importing the web parts
  4. You will need to make a few changes in the XSL for the grid view in order to point to the correct podcast and podcaster detail pages
  5. You will need to update all of the grid view web content query web parts to point to your new XSL
Oct 6, 2008 at 10:42 PM
I did manage to get the August PKS site up on a sub-site, as you said ot easily. I did write a post on it in case anyone is battling or the dev team could do with the feedback http://www.sadev.co.za/node/239
I will try the Sept release out soon (schedule is tight so it won't be for a week or two though) and feedback.
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 12:58 AM
Amazing news rmaclean. This is great work thank you for sharing!!
Oct 7, 2008 at 5:40 PM
I downloaded the September release, but when I tried to extract the .zip files, a password was required!
Anyone knows what password is that?

[]´s,

Weverton Aranha
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 10:32 PM
Bizarre, the zip files are not password protected. Could it be your zip reader software?
Oct 8, 2008 at 2:48 PM
Thanks Ludovic, it was the problem... I changed the zip reader software and now all is ok