Making Progress...However, I am stuck

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:04 PM
at the point where it say on Page 11 under Configuring the Podcast List I am having trouble with getting the settings to be accepted.

I have the following settings:

Upload Location URI    C:\uploadfiles

IIS Base URL                Http://moss/uploadfiles

Upload Method                Chosen either of them it doesn't matter

Filename Max Length        75

When I click OK on this the page fails and says try again. 

Well of course I have tried again but it keeps failing at this point.  Anyone any ideas why this is happening?

Chris

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2008 at 5:23 PM
What happens when you create a new Podcast list? Do you see this same error with the Podcast Files column?
Sep 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM
I haven't created a new Podcast List, are you referring to creating one from scratch and adding the columns in afterwards?
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2008 at 4:45 PM
Yes, you can create a new Podcast list just to test how pervasive the issue is.
Go to Site Actions > View All Site Content > Create > Podcast List.
This newly created Podcast list should have all the columns needed by default. You can test if the Podcast List is working there or not.

Also check out the list of activated features on your site, and if all PKS features are properly activated.

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:38 AM
Thanks ludovicf, I have already proceeded past this phase now having created a new Podcast List.  In fact I am now up to page 16 now although I came across an error on page 13 when I attempt to change the podcaster detail using Modify Shared Web Part the following error occurs

Could not load XSL file. The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002).

Now on page 16 at the "Metadata Property Mappings" section, when I click for a new managed property, enter AuthorID, click Decimal, there is no mapping visible for ows_AuthorID(Decimal). 

Other issues at present:

At top left of page - no image where it says Podcasting Kit for Sharepoint with link to main SharePoint site - Should there be one?

I have Custom Content in both the main pain on the front page and also in the left column (Quick links Column) on the front page - should that be there?

I have a light grey box over the Podcasts link whereas the rest is black - why is this?

There is an image box bottom right with an x in the corner and windows next to it but no image is there - should there be one?

It sounds as though there are a few anomolies with my install so far, would it be worth uninstalling and trying all over again?

Chris
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2008 at 2:44 PM
You should not encounter all those errors... something wrong may have happened in the earlier steps. The PKS logo is supposed to be displayed yes.
Can you check out the following?
- is the web site you are deploying to at the root?
- is the web site built using the collaboration portal template?
- check out the ssm.log and see if there are any errors
- check out the deployed solutions in Central Admin and see if there are any issues.

Also since the September release just shipped it might be a good idea to start over indeed...
Oct 3, 2008 at 7:21 AM
@ludovicf -

The web site is deployed on a site collection under our Moss site on   https://moss/sites/pks, is this wrong?

The site is built using a collaboration portal

There are no errors in the ssm log

No issues in the deployed solutions in Central Admin.

It looks like I will need to start over!!!
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2008 at 2:29 PM
PKS needs to be deployed at the root of the site at this point... there are several manual steps to perform to bring the various elements to a sub-site but this is not tested and recommended. We will have a better sub-site support in further releases.
Check out the September Beta post it has some information about the sub-site support. http://www.codeplex.com/pks/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=36778
Oct 3, 2008 at 5:41 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2008 at 6:51 AM
Ludovicf I much appreciate your efforts at assistance.  I did indeed start again and installed it at the root with much more success. I am almost at the end now.

On the Podcast Detail page however I see an error at the foot of the page "QueryString of key "csId" not found "  will this be linked to the Rating and Commenting Configuration? 

Also I have uploaded a podcast and while it is there in the "Podcasts", when you click on the thumbnail it shows the following error "Unable to retrieve Configuration Settings"

The thumbnail is generated properly but the duration and file size are not shown at all.

Additionally after running the crawl on page 15 and start to map metadata properties, there is no option for ows_AuthoirID(Decimal) for the first one, Confidentiality only shows ows_confidentiality(text) ...is this the one to use?

Chris
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2008 at 10:58 PM
It looks more likely to be a podcas detail page configuration issue. Check out the documentation asking to use SharePoint designer to connect the webparts together, Page 12-15.
Oct 5, 2008 at 8:02 AM
Hi Ludovicf I have been back through the pages you mentioned to ensure that everything is done exactly as instructed and I still have the "Unable to retrieve Configuration Settings" issue.

In SharePoint Designer after having checked out the PodcastDetail page, I located the Podcaster's Information webpart and clicked on it.  Your instruction on page 14 "The Podcaster Information web part connection is set up as follows" item 2 indicates that "In the top left of the web part, click the ">" button.  This actually appears on the right, I am assuming that this is correct yes?

I have also noticed that it shows "Please select a media source for this control" in the podcastdetail page.  Would this indicate that Silverlight was not present? 

Chris
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2008 at 12:13 AM
Sorry I'm starting to be out of ideas here... :(
Have you placed the keyword "mp" in the silverlight webpart?
How do you arrive to the podcast detail page? do you navigate from the podcast grid view?
Have you kept the original PKS Podcast library or created another one?
Oct 14, 2008 at 2:22 PM
No problem ludovicf these things happen and are sent to try us!!

Yes I placed the keyword "mp" in the silverlight webpart

I still had podcast detail at the top level of my page but used navigation to hide this in the end.

I had to create a new PKS Podcast library as the other would not allow for the changes that were needed to be made in the instructions.

As a matter of point, I note from a very recent post that there are issues with Silverlight and x64 solutions.  I have a Moss 2007, Server 2003 R2 x64 and a Sql box on the same platform could this be a reason for not achieving the desired results?

I created this as a separate Web App and with its own site collection but I would like it to go at the root of my MOSS collection is that possible?
Oct 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2008 at 2:52 PM
ctbjt,
Can upload a podcast with the silverlight thumbnail? (If your upload method is by Silverlight)
Cause If you can't, maybe the problem is in PKS Podcasts list. Have you configured following the steps After you created the list again?
The issue can be in the Expression Encoder too. Try to verify if, when you post a Video, at the folder "C:\uploadfiles" a another folder is created with the video.
Try to see this video, and verify if the media encoder service and the Expression was sucessfuly installed and configured.

I've got a similar problem by showing the message "Please select a media source for this control" at the media webpart.
I will try to install september beta, I'll give you a feedback if I discovery something.