Error[ActivateSiteFeature]

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:12 AM
I am just going through the installation process for PKS and the ssm log has provided the following error.

Error[ActivateSiteFeature]: Failed to instantiate file "XSL Style Sheets/CbqRss.xsl" from module "RssXslFiles": The specified list does not exist.
StackTrace:
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.EnableModuleFromXml(String bstrFeatureDirectory, String bstrUrl, String bstrXML)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPModule.ActivateFromFeature(SPFeatureDefinition featdef, XmlNode xnModule, SPWeb web)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPModuleElement.ElementActivated(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPSqlCommand sqlcmdAppendOnly, SPWebApplication webApp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPElementDefinitionCollection.ProvisionModules(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPElementDefinitionCollection.ProvisionElements(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPWebApplication webapp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.ProvisionElements(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPWebApplication webapp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Add(Guid featureId)
   at SharePointSolutionManager.PackageManager.ActivateSiteFeature(Guid feature, SPSite site)
Activating SilverlightPlayer...
Activating SharePointTagging...
Activating ContentRatingFeatureFarm...
Activating ContentRatingFeatureWebApplication...
Activating Ratings Control...
Activating RatingsModification...
Error[ActivateSiteFeature]: Failed to instantiate file "RatingsReport.css" from module "StyleSheets": The specified list does not exist.
StackTrace:
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.EnableModuleFromXml(String bstrFeatureDirectory, String bstrUrl, String bstrXML)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPModule.ActivateFromFeature(SPFeatureDefinition featdef, XmlNode xnModule, SPWeb web)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPModuleElement.ElementActivated(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPSqlCommand sqlcmdAppendOnly, SPWebApplication webApp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPElementDefinitionCollection.ProvisionModules(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPElementDefinitionCollection.ProvisionElements(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPWebApplication webapp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.ProvisionElements(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPWebApplication webapp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Add(Guid featureId)
   at SharePointSolutionManager.PackageManager.ActivateSiteFeature(Guid feature, SPSite site)
Activating PKS.SiteColumns...
Activating PKS.PodcastContentType...
Activating PKS.PodcastList...
Activating PKS.SeriesContentType...
Activating PKS.NavigationContentType...
Activating PKS.PodcastListActivationHandler...
Adding web.config keys...

Any advice please?

Thanks

Chris
Sep 29, 2008 at 7:33 AM
Hi ctbjt,

Here's what I would recommend
1. Uninstall July TP using July TP installer itself and then install August TP.
2. Alternatively do a clean install using August TP installer after verifying that there are no solutions deployed (global/web) on to the farm using Central Administration --> Operations -->Solution management  page.

Ashish

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:50 AM
Edited Sep 29, 2008 at 9:00 AM
Thanks Ashish

I would like to do a clean install using the August TP installer.

As I have already started to run the August installer and it has deployed the podcastingkitforshareoint.wps in the Solution Management Page will I need to retract this solution first?

thanks

Chris

PS  Thought I would mention that I am running a server farm (ie MOSS 2007 and SQL 2005 on separate box).  If there are any peculiarities involved in the deployment on a farm please advise.
Sep 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM
Hi Chris,
There's no need to retract podcastingkitforshareoint.wps if there are no install errors in ssm.log.  We have deployed PKS on a MOSS 2007 farm with two front end servers and a DB on separate machines & have not seen any install issues till now.

Thanks
Ashish
Sep 29, 2008 at 9:41 AM
Ashish

From my initial post, it is showing errors in the ssm.log and so therefore from your last do I presume that I should then retract the podcastingkitforsharepoint.wps and start afresh?

When I began doing the install in July I had to stop at the point of creating the MasterRatingsDatabase in sql as the instructions were based on a single server solution.  I have now revisited this and created a new site collection and begun the installation of the August TP.  Should I have removed the July TP (installed on a different site collection) prior to starting the install of the August TP?  Having not uninstalled the July TP am I safe to carry on with the August TP?  Do the errors shown in the ssm.log mean that the solution will not work?

I am keen to move on from here and get the rest installed but would like to tackle the 

Error[ActivateSiteFeature]: Failed to instantiate file "XSL Style Sheets/CbqRss.xsl" from module "RssXslFiles": The specified list does not exist.
and
Error[ActivateSiteFeature]: Failed to instantiate file "RatingsReport.css" from module "StyleSheets": The specified list does not exist.

if it is necessary to do so.

Would I be best removing everything and starting again?  If I have to do this to remove the July TP how does the uninstall work using the install command?

sorry for so many questions but would really like to get this up and running.

thanks

Chris
Sep 29, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Sorry Chris, I understood that podcastingkitforsharepoint.wsp installed without any issues, since you are seeing some errors in ssm.log you better retract & remove this solution using solution management. 

Should I have removed the July TP (installed on a different site collection) prior to starting the install of the August TP? 
yes, please follow steps mentioned in “PKS-August2008 Tech Preview – Documentation/Read First - Quick Installation and Configuration.docx” in the section “Upgrading from the July Tech Preview”

Having not uninstalled the July TP am I safe to carry on with the August TP?  Do the errors shown in the ssm.log mean that the solution will not work?
“No” for the first one & “Yes” for the later, this is because there are changes in this release, and also some solutions in here are deployed globally.

Would I be best removing everything and starting again?  If I have to do this to remove the July TP how does the uninstall work using the install command?
Yes this will be the best approach over all & can be done using uninstall.cmd OR install.exe
à clicking Uninstall button

Follow step no.2 in “PKS-August2008 Tech Preview – Documentation/Read First - Quick Installation and Configuration.docx” under section “Upgrading from the July Tech Preview” to uninstall.
PS: You will have to use PKS July installer to uninstall the existing July TP.

Ashish

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:36 PM
Ashish

I've just reviewed my installation from the July TP and realised that I had not even got as far as doing the install, in fact I had got as far as Page 7 at the start of the Ratings and Comments Database configuration.  I couldn't create on because the instructions were relating to a single server solution and not the farm so I paused at that point and now have come back to it at the point of installing the August TP. From this I assume therefore that I can now proceed with my installation as before to see if I can do this without error?

Chris
Sep 29, 2008 at 2:36 PM
Ashish

I've just reviewed my installation from the July TP and realised that I had not even got as far as doing the install, in fact I had got as far as Page 7 at the start of the Ratings and Comments Database configuration.  I couldn't create on because the instructions were relating to a single server solution and not the farm so I paused at that point and now have come back to it at the point of installing the August TP. From this I assume therefore that I can now proceed with my installation as before to see if I can do this without error?

Chris
Sep 29, 2008 at 5:18 PM
The P Word.......Progress.

I've now managed to get passed the errors etc that I mentioned above.  I am now at the point of creating the database.  This is where I got to last time and had to concentrate on something else but I am focussing on this now.

As we are a farm solution I take it that I will need to run the MasterRatingDatabse.sql on our sql server and not on the MOSS Server?

Sigh of relief so far.

Chris
Sep 30, 2008 at 2:50 AM
Hi Chris,
Sorry to hijack your discussion, just noticed you were having the same problem I am experiencing at the moment:

"Error[ActivateSiteFeature]: Failed to instantiate file "XSL Style Sheets/CbqRss.xsl" from module "RssXslFiles": The specified list does not exist."

How did you get around these errors? (I'm assuming the other one "RatingsReport.css" was related)
Thanks,
Matt
Sep 30, 2008 at 6:17 AM
That's no problem Matt, that's why we are all here I guess?

As for the error you are getting, yes it is the same as me. I don't know at what stage in the installation you are at, ie whether you had the July TP installed or you are just starting afresh with the August PT.

I had started to do the July PT but got distracted by something else and only got as far as setting up a site collection and the user accounts. I started the August TP, created a fresh site collection and used the secondary site collection administrator for this.  I followed the instructions and received the errors we are discussing.  I decided that it would be best if I started afresh so I uninstalled the August PT and as I hadn't actually installed the July PT I simply deleted the site collection for this one.  Having uninstalled the August TP I then did the same with the site collection I removed it completely and started completely afresh.

I used the primary site collection administrator account this time to create the new site collection and process the install and it went through without any problem whatsoever. 

What you can deduce from this I don't know withe only difference between the two installations being that I used the Primary Site Collection Administrator the second time and it worked whereas with the Secondary it did not. 

I'm glad I've got this far, just a bit cautious about proceeding further until I know the answer to my point above which was:

As we are a farm solution I take it that I will need to run the MasterRatingDatabse.sql on our sql server and not on the MOSS Server?

Good luck with it anyway Matt, hope you succeed with it.

Chris