This project is read-only.

Architecture for deploying PKS

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:51 AM
Since PKS deals with Media files that would be content heavy, there would be implications on the bandwidth usage in a Corporate network. Are there guidelines in terms of architecture, deployment infrastructure required to host PKS effectively(i.e. to avoid netwoork bandwidth getting choked up, remote access of Media files in a Wide Area Network, etc)?

Sep 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM
We've investigated this and have chosen to deploy on Windows Server 2008 as the following add-on is available for IIS7:

IIS7 Media Pack Bit Rate Throttling Module
http://www.iis.net/downloads/default.aspx?tabid=34&g=6&i=1641

From the description:

Internet Information Services 7.0 (IIS7) Media Pack Bit Rate Throttling module has compelling features for media and data delivery.  For many scenarios, this feature will reduce bandwidth costs while increasing per-server capacity for concurrent download connections.

For media files, Bit Rate Throttling implements a dynamic per-file throttling capability to provide intelligent progressive downloading.  It automatically detects the encoded bit rate of each file, sending the first few seconds at the highest data rate possible, and then throttling the rest of the file download based on the encoded bit rate.  This saves network bandwidth while preserving the fast start-up experience for the end user.

In addition, the Bit Rate Throttling module provides control over download rates for any file type, not just media files.  While eleven media formats are pre-defined in the module, the module is fully extensible.  This allows a developer to add support for any media file type, and allows an administrator to easily add support for any data file type.

We haven't had a chance to test this feature properly, but when we do, I'll see what results we can share with the community.

If you're deploying on Windows Server 2003 / IIS6, so far I haven't found an equivalent, free product.

Regards,

David.