Update on September beta release

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:53 AM
Hello everyone.

A quick update on how the September Beta is coming along... as discussed a few weeks ago the team has spent a significant amount of time load testing the solution and the early results are very promising. We have 2700 podcasts and 3500 podcasters loaded, and although we are not ready to share formal performance results yet I can announce that the performance is pretty much what SharePoint offers out of the box- just like we hoped to achieve with the kit design.

So overall the release is looking great, with the following enhancements and bug fixes:
- new: http module for download tracking, to enable Zune RSS subscription tracking (which will unfortunately require an update to the data stored in previous releases...)
- new: server-side re-encoding using Encoder Expression 2
- updated: deployment package and documentation- a few things are now automated, the new deployment package also prepares for easy upgrades to future releases
- several bug fixes that will be mentioned in more details in the release notes. You can count on sub-site support, IE8 compatibility, access right issues etc...

The code has also been sent on Monday 22nd to internal IT for a security/threat review and should be done by the end of this week (Friday 26th).

Now about the release date... like last month we're going to be very close to the end of September, and hopefully we won't slide into October, but that's definitely a risk. Since this is the first beta release the focus is on quality and making sure we ship a performing and "secure by design" kit, which could mean a few days delay.

Let me know if you have any specific question, I'll be happy to answer them in this thread.

Thanks for staying tuned!
Sep 29, 2008 at 7:52 PM
Hi there, it's Monday 29th and here's my update. I am testing a new build today that will get us very close to a release.
Unfortunately an issue was found on Friday around migration between releases that will prevent us from releasing today. The team is looking into it and hopefully this will be fixed very soon.
The new http module for download tracking is also behind schedule and will be released in a coming build. We're sticking to the current design for September.
On the good news front the security/threat review went very well and no issue have been found.
I'll post another update tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!