August release

Coordinator
Aug 21, 2008 at 2:54 PM
Hi everyone, I know many of you are eagerly waiting for the August release so I wanted to give you a quick update on our progress with it.
Good news is the dev is complete, and we are starting integration, deployment and functionality testing on Friday 8/22. The plan is perform those tests until the 25th-26th and then publish to codeplex.
Here's an overview of what you should see in the August TP:
- improved deployment process and documentation: we've reduced the complexity and number of pages...
- updated Zune RSS integration: finally a one-click integration
- Co-Podcasters are shown on the podcast detail page, and credited
- Reward & Recognition points
- Podcaster "Expertise" or "Skills" are now mapped and searchable
- Migration to Silverlight Beta 2
- Expression Encoder 2.0 for thumbnail and duration extraction (instead of windows media encoder)
- Thumbnail can be updated by the user (just upload a .jpg file)
- Windows Server 2008 compatibility
- Several bug fixes in the rating and commenting component: comment no longer wrongly associated with a different user, rounding errors...
- UI fixes: text alignement, font sizes are more consistent
- Filtering UI is using different colors

The september release won't add too many features and will be focused on reliability and performance. We're going to load the ~3000 podcasts and ~3500 podcasters we currently have in our production environment and stress PKS. It will also probably arrive late in the month.

Thanks for your interest in PKS, your support and patience.
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2008 at 10:58 PM
Quick update on the August Tech Preview. We are encountering several issues with the deployment of some components at the moment. Some issues we know how to fix, some we have to investigate further.
The original target of publishing the August TP on the 26th is at risk and we'll have a better idea in the next couple of days if we're going to be able to make it- but right now I'm pessimistic.
The teams are working really hard this week-end (double-shift) on the release and we are in "firedrill" mode all week next week to make sure we can offer you a quality release.
Thank you for your patience.
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 5:54 AM
Monday night update: the major issues we were facing have been solved. We have a full compatibility deployment with windows server 2008, both 32 and 64 bits, and silverlight 2 beta 2.0.
And in less than 20 pages at the moment, and more deployment optimizations in the pipe.
All the individual features are integrated. However I am now finding several regression bugs that I want to smack before releasing the tech preview.
It's going to take a few more days, which means we won't release tomorrow but a bit later.
My objective is to still call it the AUGUST tech preview and be proud of it!
As always thank you for your patience.
Coordinator
Aug 29, 2008 at 2:44 PM
Edited Aug 29, 2008 at 2:46 PM
One word: Saturday :)
Oh, and the migration path from the July TP is documented... not perfect but it will preserve your existing PKS lists and media files (not the comments and download info though).