Windows 2008 Server

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:27 PM
Has anyone implemented PKS on Windows 2008 Server?  If so, are there any issues I should consider when trying to do so or are there any difinitives ie - it will work or it won't work - that I should know.?
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2008 at 3:55 AM
We are aware of one incompatibility with the Windows Media Encoder package that is used in the July TP to extract the thumbnail and duration of the media file. This dependency is about to be removed with the replacement of Windows Media Encoder in favor of Expression Encoder 2.0 (this will be done in the August Tech Preview).
Once this is done we'll resume our deployment tests on Windows Server 2008... my hopes are that it will then work like a charm.
Aug 7, 2008 at 3:11 AM
Thanks... Are you able to say when the August Tech Preview will be available?
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM
Edited Aug 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM
I wish I could but it's a moving target right now. Dev should be done soon but then a lot of time will be spent on integration and improving yet again the deployment documentation.
So expect it to be late August, and of course depending on our QA and test results. I'm happy to share what will be in it though!

- windows server 2008 compatility
- expression encoder 2 is replacing windows media encoder
- moving to silverlight beta 2
- lots of bugs fixed with the rating and commenting
- a direct "add to zune" button implementing the zune:// protocol
- Zune RSS layout fixed to display properly in the Zune software
- more bug fixes on the podcast detail page (podcasters are listed, layout / UI fixes...)

Thanks for your patience!
Aug 7, 2008 at 1:33 PM
Edited Aug 7, 2008 at 11:10 PM
We unsuccessfully tried to install June and July release on windows 2008. Following is my observation

1) Installer.exe throws an error while trying to read a buildnumber.txt on user/temp folder
    We used installer.cmd to install solution and features

2) Rating control was not visible even though rating was enabled. only label is showing up.

3) Series column is always empty and unusable

It looks like installer.exe is doing something extra other than install.cmd. If you provide source code for the installerr that should be really big help for us.

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2008 at 4:19 PM
Hi Contosco. We are starting our tests in Windows Server 2008 and encountering the same issue you have with regard to the rating and commenting control. I was wondering if you investigated further on your end and found potential leads for a fix?
We have a new installer that works much better now and doesn't throw errors (as long as the MOSS timer service works ok) during install.
We haven't tested the series yet on ws2008.
Thanks.
Dec 4, 2008 at 1:27 AM
I'm getting prepared to install PKS on Windows 2008 Server using Hyper V and two VMs.  One VM for PKS and SharePoint and another for SQL server.  I have access to another server as well so my question is: would it be better to install the database VM on the same server or on a different server.  My plan is to store data in external storage.  There will be at least one other VM for programmers working on .net applications - AQ and staging.  Servers have 16GB of RAM.

My other question is with regards to what issues I will encounter during the installation.  Are there any snares I should watch out for given this environment?

We're looking forward to using the app.  It has great promise!
Thanks
Dec 4, 2008 at 11:39 PM
We currently have PKS installed using 2008 VM machines and it works great.  I did notice a performance difference if you are using SQL2005 VS. SQL2008 on a VM.  SQL2008 seemed to perform much better.
Dec 9, 2008 at 12:07 AM
Thanks ...  This sounds ideal! I'll report back.  I'm a newbie so hopefully it doesn't take too long!

Thanks again.