PKS Feature Ideas List

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2008 at 2:05 AM
Edited Jun 26, 2008 at 11:30 PM
Here are some questions you might want to think about:

• What features are missing from PKS that you'd like to see? 
  • Describe its potential usefulness with PKS.
  • Does this feature exist in a different product with another group, customer or partner?  If so, which product and who owns it?

Existing High-level ideas:

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:28 PM
Integration of Windows Media Services as well. Provide a front end interface for the adding of media services content and shows particular for both live content and scheduled pre-recorded cotent with multicasting. Create a TV Guide like interface for programming
Jun 13, 2008 at 12:27 PM
My top three would be:

• Flash Support
  • Support for 3rd Party Transcoding Engines e.g. Rhozet Carbon Coder, FlipFatory, On2 Flix Engine etc.
  • PSS Support

The last one I feel is very important for adoption in larger enterprises, as otherwise they will have to deploy a dedicated MOSS farm to deploy PKS, significantly increasing costs.
Jun 13, 2008 at 4:24 PM
Compatability for a WSS-only environment would be my initial top request.

- Dink
Coordinator
Jun 16, 2008 at 9:28 PM

dink wrote:

- Dink

If you haven't already, I'd recommend voting up the "PKS for WSS" discussion. 

Chevas
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2008 at 5:03 AM

dink wrote:

- Dink

Hi Dink- I really like this as well. It would give small businesses an opportunity to have a version of PKS easily deployable. Partners would then be able to build pre-configured "appliance" and sell both hardware, the kit and support services. The reason why it would be a different version of PKS is because of our heavy reliance on the "Content by Query" (CBQ) API found in MOSS 2007, and our special override of it.

- CBQ powers the flexible and performing grid views: we’ve added filtering, sorting, pagination…
- The use of CBQ enables community sub-site creation (with different access rights)
- The use of CBQ enables our native Zune Podcasting support, via modification to the RSS structure.

I hope that helps. Ludo.
Dec 4, 2008 at 5:50 AM
+1 for WSS environment... and yes, I'm gonna vote.
Sep 10, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Here are my suggestions for the future:

1. Joining the PKS for WSS chorus.

2. I like the new embedding options from July and August, but I would like the option to be able to insert a "naked" video on another site (i.e. without the descriptive metadata or rating).

3. We need more intelligent setup - there's way too much manual tweaking required after the fact.